Taking care of yourself and self grooming are things that should be done by both genders. It’s often overlooked or even looked down on that men should take care of their appearance. This is obviously false and it’s important for everyone to feel confident and healthy in their own skin. In this article, we’ve prepared a lot of tips for men to use and improve their skin, hair and body care routine.
Moisturizing is key.
Moisturizing helps prevent unwanted wrinkles and lines. The problem is using the right products and being consistent.
- Never use soap on your face – it’s too harsh and can strip oils and collagen. Use a gentle face cleanser that locks in moisture
- Exfoliate the skin with a high-quality scrub. This will get rid of dead skin cells and leave the face smooth. Use a scrub at most twice a week so you don’t over exfoliate
- For oily skin, use a cleanser with salicylic acid, but make sure you don’t overwash the face either
- Use a face mask at least once a week. Choose one according to your skin’s needs. It’s best to choose one that contains natural elements, vitamins and nutrients. If you want something that reduces pore size, gets rid of excess oil and helps your face look smoother, a mask is your best choice
- Use a high quality facial moisturizer once or twice a day
- Start focusing on your eyes daily. One of the first places your face will show age is underneath and around the eye area
- Always use sun protection. This will help prevent wrinkles and keep your skin safe from harmful UV rays
- For acne problems, see a dermatologist, make sure you’re drinking enough water and balancing a healthy diet.
- Trim eyebrows so they appear even. Never shave the space in between eyebrows.
- To keep eyebrows neat looking in between trimmings, use a spot of beard oil or cream. Use a beard brush to straighten these hairs.
- Use care when trimming nails and make sure they are the same length. Avoid pointy edges when trimming.
- Get your hands professionally manicured at least once per month.
- If your hands are rough and dry, consider soaking them in warm water and olive oil for 10 minutes, two days per week.
- Use gloves designed to deliver and seal in moisture.
- When outdoors, even for short periods of time, apply a moisturizer with a SPF sunblock of 30 or higher. This will prevent sunspots and wrinkling.
- Always wear winter gloves when the weather turns cold.
- When camping, hunting or hiking, carry a pair of heavy duty work gloves.
- At least twice a day, apply a high-quality moisturizer to your hands.
- Use a moisturizing cleanser when washing hands and avoid harsh soaps. If possible, try to apply a hand moisturizer afterwards.
- If you visit the gym and use free weights or machines, always wear gym gloves.
- Use a skin conditioning product prior to shaving to avoid nicks and cuts.
- For daily shaving, it’s important to use high quality, precision trimming/cutting products.
- Use a skin conditioning product prior to shaving to avoid nicks and cuts.
- If you have sensitive skin, use a gel or cream designed to reduce bumps and inflammation.
- If you are going for the shorter beard look or goatee, learn how to properly shape your facial hair to achieve the desired look.
- Never use the same razor blade twice – this can cause a bacterial infection.
- If you wear your beard longer or if you want to achieve the classic lumberjack look, see this lumbersexual style post.
- Use a little beard oil with a beard brush to create a well-groomed, attractive look.
- Try to brush after every meal.
- Use a high quality, fluoride toothpaste with whiteners.
- If you want super white teeth, consider whitening your teeth. After you mold tray onto teeth, you ship to dental lab.
- Floss at least once a day. An obvious point but worth mentioning because many men don’t floss.
- Pick up a bottle of fluoride mouthwash. Most dentists recommend using ACT. It is recommended you rinse when you’re done brushing.
- Use a tooth whitening product with proven results. One of the best on the market is Active White Teeth Whitening Powder
- Visit the dentist at least 2 times a year for cleanings and checkups
- If your crooked teeth bother you, talk to your dentist about straightening options. Many people choose Invisalign – a product that works over time to align teeth evenly.
- Porcelain veneers are another option. They are placed on teeth that appear crooked or gapped. This isn’t the cheapest option, but it helps
- For brown or yellow teeth, consider laser whitening.
- Get your teeth x-rayed once every 3-5 years to assess for bone loss.
- Avoid time in the sun if possible to prevent skin damage. If you simply can’t avoid it, use a sunblock with a minimum of SPF 30.
- Avoid tanning beds and instead, opt for a sunless tanner. You can pick these up at most drug stores.
- When showering, do not use “soaps”. Instead choose a moisturizing cleanser.
- Occasionally, use a loofa sponge when showering as an exfoliator. This will remove dead skin cells and other debris to deliver softer, more supple skin.
- Always use a moisturizer after showering or bathing. There are many on the market to choose from and the product you use needs to be linked to your skin type (dry, oily, normal).
- Consider an exfoliating body scrub at least once a week.
- During cold weather, always double or triple layer to keep torso covered. Below zero temperatures can rob your dermal layer of moisture – instantly.
- When wearing shorts outdoors, apply a moisturizer that contains a SPF 30 sunblock or higher.
- Consider getting a pedicure from time to time. More and more, guys are doing this.
- During wintertime, it’s important to apply extra moisturizer to your legs because extremities are one of the first body parts to chaff
- If you are wearing socks (short or high) make sure you apply additional moisturizer around the ankles.
- If you manscape your legs, always use a fresh razor with the right shaving product
- Trim toenails at least once a month with a durable clipper.
- To remove excess skin from the heel of your foot and around the pads, pick up a pumas stone. You can get these at many drug stores.
- If you have rough heels, consider soaking in warm water for at least 15 minutes.
- Moisturize your feet like any body part. Do this after every shower and be sure to cover the entire foot.
Dry hair – if you’re a man with dry hair, there could be many reasons for this. For example, if you live in a cold weather climate, wearing a winter hat can cause hair dryness. Shampooing every day or using a hair dryer too frequently are also reasons why.
- skip daily shampooing and switch to daily conditioning
- pick up a bottle of conditioner which helps to restore texture, luster and shine
- shampoo only once a week or once every other week
- in cold weather that requires you to wear a hat, consider adding some anti-frizz cream. This will keep your hair moist so you don’t develop “static hair”
General hair tips
- Don’t “scrub dry” your hair with a towel. Instead, gently pat dry. Harsh and aggressive scrubbing movements can damage your hair follicles and in extreme cases, yank strands from their roots
- Dandruff can mean you aren’t properly washing out the products from your hair. You could also suffer from eczema or seborrheic dermatitis. You should consult with your doctor about this
- Always be careful with haircare products. When you leave them on your scalp, they can potentially damage tiny follicles and prevent growth
- Shorter hair is easier to manage your hair. It might be a good idea to cut it
- Avoid over drying your hair. Use a lower heat setting and don’t aim your dryer directly on the head. Instead, attach a diffuser and hold dryer so that it’s at an angle
- Use sprays/gels that don’t weigh your hair down
- If your hair is getting grey and you want to give it some color, you can either go to a professional and have it dyed. You can also use a hair glaze product that’s applied in the shower
- Consider going to a professional barber instead of a hairstylist. Barbers are specially trained to use clippers and blades
All of these tips should help you perfect your body, face, skin and hair routine. It’s important to stay clean and fresh – appearance plays a huge role in everyday life.