Lipstick is the favourite step of a makeup routine for many people. It is the finishing touch to a makeup look and can change it completely. It comes in hundreds of colours, finishes, and brands. It’s important to know what type of ingredients each brand uses and what you’re applying onto your lips. More and more brands have been caught using unsafe ingredients in their formula which is why it’s worth double checking the list of ingredients before applying the product onto your lips.
Before we get into detail on the best type of lipsticks, let’s go into detail on each type of makeup product:
- Foundation: a base product of most makeup looks. It’s used to prepare a beautiful even complexion for this rest of your products. It also smoothes out the skin and comes in different finishes (matte, illuminating, hydrating).
- Primer: it’s applied before any wet face products such as foundation and concealer and smoothes out your skin before foundation. It also helps keep your makeup stay input and blurs out the appearance of pores. If you have a mattifying primer, it can mattify the skin, or an illuminating one can give your skin a nice glow. Primer also helps reduce redness.
- Concealer: it covers dark under eyes and imperfections. It brightens and lightens the area while also covering blemishes. It also tends to be thicker in consistency and has very good coverage.
- Powder: it sets wet products such as foundation and concealer and gives the skin a smooth finish. It’s also used to mattify the skin and keep it from overproducing oil throughout the day. Powders can also come in different formulas (pressed or loose).
- Blush: blushes are typically pink or peach and are applied to the cheeks. They come in loose powder, cream or pressed powder form. They also give the face a healthier appearance.
- Bronzer: it’s used to give the face a darker glow and make it appear healthier.
- Contour powder: this product helps your face appear slimmer and gives it some colour. It also sculpts and contours the hollow points of the face.
- Highlighter: it’s applied to the high points of the face and gives it a nice glow that makes a face appear smoother and more youthful.
- Mascara: mascara is used to elongate the lashes while attaching tiny fibres to them. It mostly comes in black and dark brown with lots of different brush shapes and sizes.
- Eyeliner: it brings out the natural colour and shape of the eyes. It also can be used to draw on a totally different shape. It is typically black or brown.
- Eyeshadow: eyeshadow comes in many different colours and formulas that allow you to create different colourful eye looks and enhance the eyes.
- Eyebrow products: they come in pencil products, creams and pomades. They frame the face and are one of the most important elements of the face. Many people prefer a natural brow look, while others like a drawn-out eyebrow.
- Eyelash/brow gel: gel is used to hold hairs in place and comes in a clear colour or natural eyebrow colours (brown, black, taupe).
- Eyeshadow primer: this creates an even layer of product onto which eyeshadow is applied. It also helps it stay in place throughout the day.
- Lipstick: lipstick can come in a matte, glossy, or sheer finish and is an essential element of any completed makeup look. It’s quite popular to use a red lipstick- the iconic red lip. Pinks, purples and nudes are also popular shades.
- Lip gloss: gloss gives the lips shine and moisture while also giving it some colour.
- Finishing spray: the final touch of any makeup look to lock it and set it in place. It also helps keep the skin matte or illuminated depending on the finish you’re going for.
Why you should switch to organic brands
Did you know that our skin absorbs 60% of products that we apply onto it? There are so many harmful ingredients that can be absorbed into the skin especially at the drugstore.
You should definitely avoid parabens– they are preservatives used to prevent the growth of bacteria and germs in cosmetics. Once the skin absorbs them, they are then transmitted into the bloodstream. This is linked to causing breast cancer and early puberty.
Heavy metals like chrome and nickel can often be found in makeup and are also linked to lung cancer and brain damage.
Titanium dioxide should also be avoided.
Carbon black is also an ingredient that is frequently found in dark makeup products. It’s linked to organ system toxicity and cancer.
Synthetic fragrances are often overlooked since they aren’t known to be extremely harmful to the skin, but they are quite irritating, especially for those with sensitive skin. Look for products that contain natural essential oils.
Organic products contain natural, safe ingredients that you don’t have to watch out for. They have fewer toxins and are generally naturally derived. They avoid fillers such as oil or water and add a lot of beneficial plant-based ingredients and botanicals. They also complement a healthy lifestyle since organic farming is generally better for the environment. Farming practices for organic products are ethical and typically cruelty-free.
Lipstick- a girl’s best friend
Lipstick is said to make you walk taller, reduce stress and even bring people together. Lips generally lack melanin which protects skin from harmful UV rays. Wearing sun protecting lipstick can minimise the chance of skin cancer. Lipstick is mainly a form of decorating the lips, giving them colour and even a fuller shape. It comes in any colour and formula you can think of.
Unfortunately, many lipsticks contain lead, a harmful ingredient that causes irreversible damage to the skin and overall health. It can also cause allergies and irritate the skin.
We recommend using only organic lipstick brands that are certified to be safe and natural on the lips. Here are some favourites:
- Organistick Organic Lipstick
This brand promises long-lasting wear and perfect pigmentation. Their lipsticks are made only with certified ingredients like shea butter, argan oil, and jojoba oil. They offer bright reds, bright corals, and soft nudes so everyone will find a colour for them.
- Vapour Organic Beauty Siren Lipstick
Their products are filled with moisturising ingredients and protective antioxidants. The lipstick is amazingly pigmented and applies like a dream. It’s also extremely long-lasting and stays on for many hours. It contains natural fruit essences and essential oils.
- Ilia Beauty Lipstick
These natural lipsticks give a creamy finish and carry beautiful colours. They are encased in a modern, recycled aluminium case. They’re also infused with jojoba oil and cocoa butter that help soften the lips. The lipstick is super hydrating and has many anti-aging benefits that make it a perfect choice for everyday wear.
- Ruby’s Organic Lipsticks
These lipsticks have a very unique formula that gives a beautiful natural finish. It moisturises the lips like vaseline but stays on like a long-wearing lipstick. It gives a semi-matte finish and contains mango and shea butter. This gives the lips a soft, yet smooth look. It also contains castor oil and almond oil.
- Lotus Pure Herbals Lip
Lotus Pure is classified as USDA Certified Organic. It contains zero parabens, synthetic fragrances, or phthalates. Their formula is super hydrating and loaded with antioxidants. What’s interesting is that the vibrant colours are derived from fruit pigment. They have a wide range of colours, and it’s a great choice for those looking to moisturise the lips while giving them a bit of colour.
- Hemp Organics Lipstick
A natural lipstick brand that makes lipsticks with signature USDA Certified Organic plant-derived oils and waxes. They don’t contain any fragrances, synthetic preservatives or FD dyes. They are made with organic beeswax combined with carnauba plant wax which seals in moisture and keeps the lips nourished. They’re great for everyday wear. The price of these lipsticks is also amazing.
- Zuii Organic Satin Lip Colour
A unique blend of camellia seed oil, Vitamin E and C and shea butter moisturises the lips perfectly. It’s great for those looking for a deeply hydrating product for dry lips while also giving them a nice touch of colour. The scent is also quite subtle for those who dislike strong scents. They contain only naturally derived essential oils.
- Moisturising Lipstick by Burt’s Bees
This is an all-natural, healthy lipstick that requires no mirror for application. It gives a beautiful finish on the lips. Some ingredients are shea butter, jojoba oil and kendi oil. It’s super hydrating and leaves the lips conditioned for long. It’s also made with only organic ingredients without any added fragrances or flavour. It comes in many different shades, including bright red.
- Henné Organics Lip Tint
A cruelty-free lip colour that’s handmade in the US. It’s super pigmented, but still flexible to use. It can be applied as bold colour or a natural hue. All ingredients are organic; some include castor seed oil, jojoba seed, coconut oil and many more. The finish is very velvety and feels like satin on the lips. It also lasts all day long.
- Gabriel Cosmetics Vegan Lipstick
This is a very long-lasting lipstick that has a creamy formula and comes in many colours. The lipstick contains jojoba oil, sesame oil and candelilla wax that nourishes the lips. It never feathers and gives full coverage that covers the lips perfectly.
- Honeybee Gardens Truly Natural Lipstick
The lipstick protects and colours the lips while leaving them plump and moisturised. The brand has an extensive colour selection with chemical-free ingredients in every lipstick. It’s also paraben-free, dye-free, and contains ingredients such as coconut oil, shea butter, vitamin E, botanical extracts and sesame seed oil.
Choosing the right lipstick can be difficult, but our recommendations will help you find the one best for you. It’s important to test out organic products, especially if you’ve been using only drugstore lipsticks filled with chemicals and toxic ingredients. After switching to organic lipsticks, you’ll see a significant difference and never go back to your past choices. Lipstick should make you feel better and prettier, not worried that it will irritate your skin.