Some of us use makeup very often – others, not so much. It all depends on our preferences and what we apply. It doesn’t matter if you use products once in a while or everyday, you should still be cautious about what you apply. More and more people are discovering the negative sides to makeup. It often contains a lot of harmful ingredients that have negative properties. Let’s analyze each makeup product one-by-one.
- Primer: this product is applied before applying any face products such as foundation and concealer and smoothes out your skin before foundation. It also helps keep your makeup stay input and blurs out the appearance of pores. If you have a mattifying primer, it can mattify the skin or an illuminating one can give your skin a nice glow. Primer also helps reduce redness.
- Foundation: a base product of most makeup looks. It’s used to prepare a beautiful even complexion for this rest of your products. It also smoothes out the skin and comes in different finishes (matte, illuminating, hydrating).
- Powder: it sets wet products such as foundation and concealer and gives the skin a smooth finish. It’s also used to mattify the skin and keep it from overproducing oil throughout the day. Powders can also come in different formulas (pressed or loose).
- Concealer: it conceals under eye bags and imperfections. It brightens and lightens the area while also covering blemishes. It also tends to be thicker in consistency and has very good coverage.
- Blush: blushes are typically pink or peach and are applied to the cheeks. They come in loose powder, cream or pressed powder form. They also give the face a healthier appearance.
- Contour powder: this product helps your face appear slimmer and gives it some colour. It also sculpts and contours the hollow points of the face.
- Bronzer: this product gives the face a darker glow and make it appear healthier.
- Highlighter: it’s applied to the high points of the face and gives it a nice glow that makes the face appear smoother and more youthful.
- Mascara: mascara is used to make the lashes appear longer while attaching tiny fibres to them. It mostly comes in black and dark brown with lots of different brush shapes and sizes.
- Eyeshadow primer: this creates an even layer of product onto which eyeshadow is applied. It also helps it stay in place throughout the day.
- Eyeshadow: eyeshadow comes in many different colours and formulas that allow you to create different colourful eye looks and enhance the eyes.
- Eyeliner: it brings out the natural colour and shape of the eyes. It also can be used to draw on a totally different shape. It is typically black or brown.
- Eyebrow products: they come in pencil products, creams and pomades. They frame the face and are one of the most important elements of the face. Many people prefer a natural brow look, while others like a drawn out eyebrow.
- Eyelash/brow gel: gel is used to hold hairs in place and comes in a clear colour or natural eyebrow colours (brown, black, taupe).
- Lip gloss: gloss gives the lips shine and moisture while also giving it some colour.
- Lipstick: lipstick can come in a matte, glossy, or sheer finish and is an important element of any completed makeup look. It’s quite popular to use a red lipstick- the iconic red lip. Pinks, purples and nudes are also popular shades.
- Setting spray: the final touch of any makeup look to lock it and set it in place. It also helps keep the skin matte or illuminated depending on the finish you’re going for.
Did you know that skin absorbs more than half of the products that we apply onto it. Many of these products contain harmful ingredients too. It’s essential to know which ingredients can be harmful to your skin – they should be avoided at all costs. Parabens are one thing to avoid – they are preservatives that are used to prevent the growth of bacteria and germs in cosmetics. Once the skin absorbs them, they are then transmitted into the bloodstream. They are actually linked to causing breast cancer and early puberty. Carbon black is an ingredient that is frequently found in darker makeup products (black, dark brown pigmented). This ingredient is linked to organ system toxicity and cancer. Synthetic fragrances are ignored and overlooked since they aren’t extremely harmful to the skin, but they can be quite irritating, especially for those who deal with sensitive skin. Look for products that contain natural essential oils and fragrances. Heavy metals like chrome and nickel are often found in makeup and are related to lung cancer and brain damage. Titanium dioxide should also be avoided at all costs. Many products contain lead, a harmful ingredient that causes irreversible damage to the skin and overall health. It can also cause allergies and irritate the skin. It can be surprising how many toxins can be found in the products you use everyday!
If you want to choose the safest option, it’s best to go for organic products. They contain safe ingredients that you don’t have to be scared of damaging your skin. They also contain zero toxins and are typically naturally derived. Most of them also contain minimal fillers like oil or water and add a lot of beneficial plant-based ingredients and botanicals. They also complement a healthy lifestyle since organic products are better for the environment. Farming practices for organic products are ethical and cruelty-free most of the time.
Face powder 101
Face powder is a cosmetic powder that is typically applied to the face to set a foundation and concealer after application. It can also be reapplied throughout the day to minimize the shininess of oily skin.
There are two types of main powders: translucent sheer powder and pigmented powder. Certain powders can be worn without a base of foundation. Powder tones the face and evens out your skin tone. Benefits include providing protection, especially if it contains SPF. It comes in either compact or loose powder. It can be applied with a brush, sponge or powder puff. Since there are so many different skin tones, there are also many corresponding colors of face powder available. A common ingredient used in powder is talc – it’s absorbent and provides toning to the skin. It can also be applied to the higher points of the face to correct, brighten and highlight. A common makeup technique used with powder is called baking. It helps increase the coverage of your makeup and also sets it in place for longer.
Organic powder favorites
ESTELLE & THILD SILKY FINISHING POWDER
A 100% natural finishing powder with an airy veil of super-fine pigments that create the perfect finishing touch. With its weightless, silky formula this pressed powder sets makeup, evens out skin tone and combats shine whilst promoting an overall luminous radiance. Estelle & Thild Silky Finishing Powder is a weightless, silky finishing powder that sets makeup, evens out skin tone and combats shine. With a 100% natural, certified organic formula, this powder is the perfect finishing touch to any look or style and will leave you with a perfect luminous radiance. Benefits include that it’s a 100% natural, certified organic face powder, airy and weightless, the super-fine pigments create the perfect finishing touch, it sets makeup and combats shine, it evens out the skin tone and enhances the natural complexion, made with natural minerals and olive oil that nourish, hydrate and protects the skin for added comfort and leaves skin with a luminous radiance and a flawless finish.
100% PURE FRUIT PIGMENTED FOUNDATION POWDER
A 100% natural, lightweight powder foundation that gives you a beautiful, flawless and poreless complexion with a matte finish and medium coverage. The natural formula is packed full of anti-aging vitamins, antioxidants and skin purifying eucalyptus, soothing calendula, chamomile and rose, oil absorbing rice powder and provides a skin flattering colour from fruit and vegetable pigments. It comes in three colors: Creme for fair skin with neutral to warm undertones, White Peach for light skin with warm undertones, and Peach Bisque for medium skin with warm undertones. Every skin tone can find something for themselves!
ALIMA PURE RADIANT FINISHING POWDER
A hybrid mineral powder that is a mix of blush, bronzer, highlighter and finishing powder with a subtle lustrous finish.
DR HAUSCHKA COMPACT POWDER
A luxurious pressed powder that reduces shine and offers an even, flawless complexion. The formulation combines mineral pigments with nourishing ingredients such as anthyllis and silk powder to leave the skin feeling velvety soft and silky smooth.Dr Hauschka Compact Powder formulation combines mineral pigments with nourishing ingredients such as anthyllis and silk powder to leave the skin feeling velvety soft and silky smooth. This pressed powder sets makeup, reduces oily shine and is ideal for refreshing makeup while out and about.
LILY LOLO MINERAL FINISHING POWDER
A 100% natural finishing powder to give the ultimate fresh finish and a flawless look. Lily Lolo Mineral Finishing Powder gives ultimate staying power for hours of wear. Lily Lolo’s sheer formula with oil absorbing properties for a flawless finish, gives your make-up a fresh finish, perfect for achieving an airbrushed look. The award winning finishing powder is free from harsh chemicals, nanoparticles, parabens, bismuth oxychloride, talc, synthetic dyes, fillers, fragrance and preservatives. Choose Silk finish for a dewy glow, choose a matte finish to control shine. The colors include: Flawless Matte: Matte (oil absorbing and translucent), Flawless Silk: Silk (illuminating and tinted), and Translucent Silk: Silk (illuminating and translucent.)
Powder is one of the necessary makeup steps, especially if you have oily skin and problems with keeping it matte. An organic choice is one that you won’t regret – the ingredients are safe, so there’s nothing to worry about. Try out some of our recommendations and see how the products work for you. You will most likely be satisfied and start using the products religiously!