Our skin ages once we start getting older. It’s a natural occurrence in a human’s life. Once we hit a certain age we start noticing signs of aging – dark spots, wrinkles and fine lines. It isn’t the most pleasant thing on earth but it’s unavoidable and it happens to everyone. Fortunately, there ways to prevent wrinkles and make them less noticeable.
How do wrinkles form?
Wrinkles can come from many things. First of all, your body loses the ability to produce collagen and elastin proteins that make your skin youthful and elastic. This is what causes wrinkles – the fine lines that form from zero elasticity in the skin turn into deeper lines. This also causes creases around the eye area and makes the eyes look more tired and droopy. Since the skin around the eyes is thinner, less hydrated and doesn’t create much moisture it’s also more dry. The problem becomes worse when puffiness, discoloration and dark circles start showing up.
Factors that cause wrinkles:
- Sun exposure – this is the most common cause of wrinkles and skin damage. UV rays cause fine lines and make the skin change its texture. They are also the reason why brown spots, red blotches, broken capillaries and hyperpigmentation form. Harmful rays damage elastin fibres in the skin. Bad consequences of sun exposure are skin cancer and different skin issues. Those with fair skin tend to develop more wrinkles than people with darker skin. If you can, avoid the sun, wear sunscreen and protective clothing (sunglasses, hats).
- Aging – the basic reasoning behind aging. The reduction of estrogen, thinning of the skin and menopause all cause wrinkles. The skin stops producing as much oil and becomes dry. It isn’t the most pleasant thing, but it’s normal.
- Bad skin care – taking care of your skin is super important. It’s important to be gentle and careful while applying products onto your face. Don’t tug at your eyes when applying eye makeup. Always use sunscreen and reapply it often. Try not to be too aggressive when removing makeup. You also shouldn’t rely on single skincare products to “cure” your skin. Remember to visit the eye doctor at least once a year. Always remove your makeup at night and patch test products to avoid allergic reactions.
- Facial movements – facial motions also create wrinkles – smiling, laughing, squinting and scrunching eyes all stretch your skin. Stretching your face decreases elasticity of the skin. It’s completely normal to make a lot of facial expressions throughout the day and move around your face. It’s also common that people sleep on the sides of their face or their stomach.
- Smoking – this also causes a lot of skin damage – the skin starts sagging and losses a lot of elasticity. Smoking raises your chances of developing squamous cell carcinoma. It’s the second most common form of skin cancer and often starts on the lips. The skin tone of smokers is also uneven and orange or grey in colour. The lack of oxygen and toxins in tobacco have a lot of negative effects on the skin. Cigarette smoke contains over 7000 chemicals (70 being cancerous).
Habits that reduces wrinkles
- Using sunscreen everyday
- Wearing sunglasses and caps
- Drinking water to stay hydrated
- Getting at least eight hours of sleep
- Investing in high-quality, anti-aging skin care products: serums, moisturisers, hydrating creams. Use products that contain alpha-hydroxy acids, retinoids, vitamin C and hyaluronic acid. These all soothe inflammation and reduce the risk wrinkles.
- Always use a night cream
- Maintaining a balanced diet will keep your skin healthy from the inside. Eat foods with omega-3’s and antioxidants. Some great examples of healthy foods that are great for the skin: avocados (vitamins that vitalize the skin), nuts (hydrating and plumping fatty acids), sunflower seeds (selenium), kiwi, matcha tea, sweet potatoes, beans (zinc), bananas and oatmeal
- Quit smoking and drinking alcohol
- Avoid random facial movements like squinting too much
Products and brands we recommend
SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator
A skin repairer and anti-aging cream in one. It helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It also gives immediate results so you don’t have to wait too long to see results. It works throughout the day to sink deep into the skin and improve its texture. It supports the skin’s ability to product hyaluronic acid and leaves it looking more youthful. As the skin ages it starts lacking the ability to make its own HA. The product uses antioxidants that are found in the Vitis flower stem cell extract, polysaccharides and peptide complex and combines them together to help your skin produce its own hyaluronic acid. The hydrator contains zero oils and is fragrance free.
This brand has been making handmade organic skin care products in Hungary since 1958. They’re all free of harmful chemicals (tree oil is used instead of pesticides) and contain a blend of fresh fruits, plants, and rare spices that have healing properties. Some of their great products include the Clear Skin Probiotic Cleanser, Apricot Body Oil, Stone Crop Hydrating Mist, and Hibiscus Lift Neck Cream.
Mukti Organics – Organic Age Defiance Eye Serum
This serum is specifically made for the eye area. It enhances your skin’s elasticity and smooths out fine lines. It also reduces puffiness and lightens dark circles. Let’s not forget that it’s vegan, paraben, sulfate and cruelty-free. The ingredients in the product protect your skin from radical damage. Muntries helps heal wounds, acne and spots. Emu apple has anti-inflammatory properties and contains antioxidants that support collagen production. Hydadisine is a marine bacterial strain that retains a lot of water so it can plump and moisturise the skin around the eyes. Eyeseryl is a peptide that reduces eye bags and dark circles. If you have problems with puffiness after waking up, this serum will definitely reduce that. All of these components will help improve elasticity and smooth out any wrinkles in the skin.
Lanolin- 100% PURE Pharmaceutical Grade
Lanolin is an emollient that restores and maintains the hydration in your skin. It keeps a stable moisture balance so the skin doesn’t become dry. This moisturiser doesn’t affect your skin’s normal transpiration. Lanolin in the product makes the natural water in your skin return to its most healthy level – 10-30%. It can also absorb twice its weight in water weight and bring a lot of moisture to your skin. The product is cruelty-free and 100% natural.
Kypris beauty elixir
This product was named after the cypriot goddess, Kypris. It’s 100% natural and gold certified by the Green Business Association. This formula contains the oil of 1000 distilled roses and is perfect for dry skin. It gives the skin a nice, healthy glow. The smell is also great – a bit like some type of exotic tea. The consistency isn’t sticky at all. It also leaves the skin soft and vibrant. The price isn’t the lowest, but there’s not many products like it on the market. It doesn’t over-hydrate either and definitely won’t leave your skin oily.
Tula Probiotic Skin Care Volume Defense Deep Wrinkle Serum
This product is packed with probiotics that help smooth wrinkles and fine lines. The formula is super creamy and milky yet weightless for a light feel on the skin. It also contains peptides, retinol and floral and fruit extracts that improve the health of your skin. The serum targets your fine lines and wrinkles and restores their density and the skin’s elasticity. All of the ingredients are high-quality and natural. You don’t have to worry about it containing parabens, phthalates, mineral oil or propylene glycol. The brand also doesn’t test on animals. Some of the ingredients that smell amazing are white tea, blueberry extracts, turmeric, and hydrolyzed rice. It’s full of vitamins (A, C and E), omega fatty acids and antioxidants.
Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream
Rose Day Cream is a rich, luxurious daily moisturizer. The soothing rose in it nurtures and renews sensitive, dry and weather-damaged skin. The product protects against dryness and soothes redness, irritation and aging skin. It’s a great smelling cream with the perfect texture. It protects the outer layer of the skin and seals in moisture to help prevent dehydration. Each tube of Rose Day Cream contains thirty roses. It works well with sensitive skin as well.
Essential Starters Set by UniOrganics
A great option for those looking for a ready starter set that is natural and organic. The set is completely sulfate, paraben and toxin-free. It’s also never tested on animals and only contains 100% plant-based ingredients. All of the products are made in Australia. They work best when combined together and keep your skin fresh and hydrated. They replenish the lost moisture of your skin and give it a natural looking glow. It makes the appearance of wrinkles less prominent. The formulas are full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that give your skin long-lasting results. All of them contain aloe vera leaf extract, apricot seeds and cranberry for exfoliation. This product is 100% organic and vegan. Don’t worry about useless fillers either.
Skin care is important no matter what age you are. Organic products are the safest for the skin since their ingredients are natural and delicate for the skin. You can’t completely prevent wrinkles, but many skin care products are helpful and give great results.